March 12th, 2015
Summer Harvest Ratatouille
Serves 10 – Ratatouille, a traditional French vegetable dish of eggplant, bell peppers, onions, summer squash and tomatoes, is an ideal side dish to serve with grilled or roasted fish or chicken.
- 3 bell peppers, assorted colors, seeded, cored and cut into thick wedges
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup pitted Niçoise or other black olives
- 5 large tomatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds), seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 3 tablespoons chopped marjoram or oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place peppers and eggplant on one sheet, squash and zucchini on the second sheet. Roast vegetables, turning them once halfway through cooking and switching trays top to bottom and front to back, until browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool vegetables slightly, then coarsely chop.
Meanwhile, combine broth and olives in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a heavy pot and add tomatoes, onion, garlic and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer until tomatoes are very soft, about 20 minutes.
Add roasted vegetables and marjoram to pot; cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and vinegar; cook 5 minutes more.
Per Serving: 80 calories (10 from fat), 1.5g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 8g sugar), 3g protein
Sourced by Whole Foods Market