March 8th, 2015
Spicy Vegetable and Potato Curry
Serves 6 – Potatoes, green beans and tomatoes accompany eggplant in this satisfying meatless curry. Serve it with brown basmati rice and a cooling dessert of fresh mango.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers (remove seeds for a milder curry), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped, or 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 3/4 pound yellow potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
In a blender, combine onion, peppers, garlic and broth and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Place a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat and add cinnamon, cumin, turmeric and coriander; stir constantly until fragrant and then add broth mixture. Simmer for 1 minute and then stir in coconut milk and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and stir in eggplant, potatoes and salt. Lower heat, cover the skillet and simmer until potatoes and eggplant are tender, about 30 minutes.
Stir in green beans, cover, and cook until beans are tender, about 10 more minutes. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Serve garnished with cilantro.
Per Serving: 130 calories (25 from fat), 3g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 3g protein
Sourced by Whole Foods Market